Life as a baker makes it easier when you have all the tools you need to get things done quickly. But, what if you have multiple orders of cupcakes yet you only have a limited cupcake pan? Therefore, make sure you know some baking life hacks such as how to make cupcakes without cupcake pan.
What is a cupcake pan?
Cupcake pan is one of the specialty bakeware you may encounter in the world of baking. These cupcake pans are made out of different materials such as metal, silicone, ceramic, aluminum, heat-proof glass, or enameled metal.
These cupcake pans are often made with silicone and aluminum to safely be able to withstand the high heat temperature of the oven. As the name implies, a cupcake pan is used to bake cupcakes.
We are sure that you might have possibly seen a cupcake pan in your entire life. Generally speaking, the most common and standard cupcake pan sizes have at least 12 individual built-in cupcake molds per pan.
Though, the cupcake pan size may vary according to the quantity of cupcakes you will bake.
6 Easy ways to make cupcakes without cupcake pan
Though having cupcake trays and pans are efficient in a way that it helps you speed up your baking process as you no longer need extra preparation just to make a cupcake mold.
These cupcake pans provide you an almost identical cupcake often. However, not having a cupcake pan available in your household or not feeling the need to invest in a good one does not necessarily mean that you will never be able to bake a cupcake. In fact, there are multiple ways you can come up with to make cupcakes even without a cupcake pan.
Sheet Cake and a Circle Cookie Butter
Cupcakes are just a smaller version of round cakes that is placed inside a small paper wrapper that is always topped with frosting. You may ask yourself how it is even possible to make a cupcake without a cupcake pan. Do not worry because it is still possible even with only a sheet cake and a circle cookie cutter only.
Below is a simple and easy step-by-step guide on how to make cupcakes without a cupcake pan:
- Start baking a thick flat cake in a regular sized sheet cake or a cake pan. Though, ensure not to overdo it. Just bake the right amount and height of cake that is approximately as thick as a normal cupcake is. Ideally, it should be at least two to three inches in height.
- Get your cookie-cutter ready and cut the baked cake in a similar diameter to a standard cupcake dimension.
- After cutting the cake to smaller round sizes to achieve a cupcake look, you may start placing the cupcakes into the paper wrappers.
- The last step you need to do is finish it off by adding a frost on top of the cupcake.
Fancy Silver Liners
Fancy silver liners are most commonly known as the foil cupcake liner due to its metallic look. It is often seen as the shining, shimmering, silvery cupcake liner that is somehow thick and resembles a tin can.
These foil cupcake liners that look a little fancy are also one of the best and recommended cupcake liners in replacement to a cupcake pan.
- The fancy silver liners are easy to use as you only need to line them up in a baking sheet tray.
- After placing all the foil cupcake liners, you may scoop and place your cupcake batter on it and put it in an oven to start baking.
The thickness of the aluminum foil allows it to hold and mold the cupcake batter as it starts baking.
Watch the tutorial below to learn how to make a Do-It-Yourself cupcake mould with aluminum foil:
Mason Jar Lids
You have a lot of alternatives when we talk about baking a cupcake without the presence of a cupcake pan. There are so many methods you can choose from according to the availability of the materials.
One among many methods of baking a cupcake without a cupcake pan is by using mason jar lids as your cupcake liner. This may sound new to you but yes, it is possible! Imagine that the available empty mason jars stored somewhere in your kitchen and left untouched still have a purpose. You do not need the entire mason jar though, just the rings!
Follow these simple steps and baking life hack which you can try in case you run out of an available cupcake pan due to numerous orders from your loyal customers:
- Gather all the mason jar rings available in your household.
- Once you have gathered a number of mason jar rings, you may now start placing them in a flat sheep baking pan about two inches apart from each other. Thus, making it look like an actual cupcake pan due to its orientation.
- Moreover, continue the process by putting a paper liner within the mason jar metal rings.
- Do not worry if the cupcake batter will not be baked properly because the mason jar metal ring will serve as a support to the cupcake paper liner. Thus, allowing it to stand straight as if you used an actual cupcake pan.
In case you ran out of cupcake pans to use because you have plenty of orders due to the holiday season, worry not, because you can use your cupcake paper liners.
Follow the steps below which you can follow in the near future:
- Gather all the cupcake paper liners and have them stacked one by one.
- Continue stacking numerous cupcake paper liners until it is able to support the cupcake batter.
- Place the cupcake paper liners on a baking sheet tray with distances from each other and in sets of at least five cupcake liners in each row.
- Lastly, place it in an oven with a high heat temperature to start baking.
The most problematic experience you may encounter as a baker with countless orders from your loyal consumers is not having all the possible tools you may use to make cupcakes even without a cupcake pan. Though, that is not the end as you still have your last hope which is really feasible to do so.
You can use ramekins as the best alternative just in case there are no available cupcake paper liners and cupcake pan in your household. The process is pretty much similar with all the other methods.
Just make sure that the ramekin you will be using is made out of material that is oven safe. Do not forget to grease your ramekins though for an easier release of the cupcake. Finish it off by putting an ample amount of frosting just like what you normally do with a cupcake.
Though not all people are aware that most ceramic mugs are practically oven safe. Hence, you can use these ceramic mugs as an alternative to your cupcake pan.
Make use of these ceramic mugs that should be at least the same size as the standard cupcakes. Gather all the ceramic mugs you will use and place it on top of a baking sheet tray while you place a cupcake paper liner and the cupcake butter simultaneously.
Once done with the preparation, the cupcakes in the ramekins are now ready to be baked. Once the baking process is done, let the cupcakes cool off while still in the mug.
Release the cupcake by flipping the mug upside down, However, in case you find it difficult to release the cupcake in a ramekin then you may need the assistance of a bread knife for it to go around the ramekins.
5 Things to consider when choosing a cupcake pan
Though some people do not really feel the need to purchase a pan especially if they know or may have experimented with multiple methods on how to make cupcakes without a cupcake pan.
However, there will come a time where you decide to finally invest in baking equipment thinking that one day it will come in handy.
Below should be the things you need to consider when purchasing a cupcake pan:
- Make sure to consider the cupcake size you will bake.
- The number of cups or wells on a cupcake pan.
- You may want to consider cupcake pans that have a tight grip and handle for easier use especially for people who tend to experience excruciating pain due to the stiffness of their hands.
- Consider buying a thicker pan as it is believed to be more effective when it comes to baking. The thickness of the pan determines how quickly a cupcake is being baked.
- Consider purchasing cupcake pans that are able to distribute heat evenly. These cupcake pans are often made of aluminum and stainless steel.
Now that you know how to make cupcakes without cupcake pan, you will no longer panic that you only have limited cupcake pans available. Learning these baking life hacks will not hinder you from getting more orders from your client which means prosperity to your business. Thus, better flow of income.