The other night I made a nice small steak and served it with a Caesar salad. I love Caesar salad (who doesn’t?) but I didn’t want the extra calories that the dressing brings, so I decided to try Chef Jamie Oliver’s light dressing, which is made with low- or non-fat Greek yogurt.
The steak was made in my Griswold #8 cast iron skillet, and cooked in the stove. Usually I make my steak on the cooktop or on the grill, so this was a bit of an experiment for me. Based on a recipe I found on the web, I made a nice dry rub with coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, with a bit of brown sugar to caramelize the crust of the steak.
The meal was yum. The steak had an explosion of pepper, with a lingering hint of sweetness from the brown sugar.
Note: For the small steaks I used in this recipe, it would have been better to have cooked about 5 minutes per side instead of the 7 minutes. With 1-1/2” steaks, however, 7 minutes should be just about right to give you a medium to medium-rare steak.
Prep time: About 10 minutes. Cook time: 14 minutes.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 c. low or non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 t Worcestershire sauce
- ~1/2 t anchovy paste
- 2T extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ c shaved Parmesan cheese, divided
- salt and freshly-ground pepperSteak
- Cooking spray
- 1T brown sugar
- ½ t salt
- ½ t ground cumin
- ½ t ground coriander
- ¼ t ground cayenne pepper
- about 2/3 lb sirloin steak, about 1-1/2” thick.
- Make the dry rub for the steak: mix together brown sugar, salt, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub the spices onto both sides of the steak. Let rest.
- Make the dressing for the salad: stir together yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and anchovy paste. Drizzle in olive oil, and whisk. Add half of the Parmesan cheese; stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Note: You can make the dressing in advance if you wish – I typically do, and store it in the fridge in a small jar and then just give it a shake when I’m ready to dress the salad.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place cast iron skillet into oven (I used a number 8 Griswold).
- Let skillet heat about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven. Place steak into skillet and put back into oven.
- Cook for 7 minutes.
- While steak is cooking, toss salad. Plate salad. Add freshly ground pepper and Parmesan to top.
- Turn the steak over after 7 minutes. Cook an additional 7 minutes.
- Remove steak from oven. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve steak as you wish; I had two pieces so I plated each. You could also slice thinly on the diagonal and plate. I served alongside dinner rolls. A nice light supper!